Mt. Kenya – Sirimon
Climbing to 5,199 meters, Mount Kenya is the second tallest mountain in Africa. The scenery surrounding this designated World Heritage Site is breath-taking. The Sirimon route is on the drier side of the mountain and offers some of the finest walking.
The forest is a bit scrappy at first, but quite quickly reforms into thicker trees and more mixed undergrowth. The upper forest is rosewood, scattered trees above thick scrub, then you are into the world of heathers, a ravishing variety of colors and forms. The forest and bamboo are home to hundreds of buffaloes, elephants, bushbucks and a plethora of bird species. As you climb higher you will leave the forest for the moorlands. The moorland walk takes you across hills and valleys in the sprawling moorlands where you see several unique and interesting plants and animals including the Giant groundsels and lobelias and the mountain hyrax.
Next, ascend the Hausberg col (4700m) then descend steeply to Hausberg valley and Oblong tarns before making a further steep ascent, crossing huge boulders via Two Tarn. At the valley head are dry, tough, broken crags and cliffs, with a high rough ridge on the far side of the valley, the great peaks are behind it. On the morning of your assent you will start at 3am. You will hike up the steep scree slopes and glacier to Point Lenana (4985m), the hiker’s summit. It is planned that you arrive in time to witness the African Sun rising over the equator, reflecting its golden glow on the Majestic peaks of Batian and Nelion.
NOTE: Though Mount Kenya summit can be reached in 5 days, we strongly recommend an overnight acclimatization at the base in Nanyuki town. This can be arranged for at an extra fee.
Included in this package:
- Pre–tour itinerary document
- All meals included while climbing
- Overnight facilities
- All applicable Park entrance fees
- Round trip transport from Nairobi
- Guaranteed departures for two or more passengers booking this climb
- Multi-lingual Professional Safari Guide/ Driver
- Overnight accommodations in Nanyuki
- Overnight accommodations in Nairobi
- Gratuities for your driver/guide
- Transportation to and from Nairobi
- Passports, Visas, health documents and other government requirements
- Meals not listed in the itinerary
Contact us today so we can arrange the best price for you.