The Machame route is the most popular path. It is also known as the Whiskey route, given its reputation for being a tough climb with its steep trails and long distances while sleeping in tents. It is the route of choice for many people because it provides impressive views and a variety of habitats. About 50% of all climbers, and most seasoned climbers, choose this route.
The hike starts within Kilimanjaro’s lush, fertile, montane rainforest. As you might expect, the lower slopes receive a quite a bit of precipitation. The trail may be steep and slippery, so trekking poles are advised. As the route heads toward the Shira Plateau, the trees disappear and are replaced by low brush in the heather zone. Then the route climbs high to the volcanic plug, Lava Tower, before dropping and circling below the South Icefield. This circular pathway from Barranco to Karanga to Barafu is known as the southern circuit. As it traverses halfway around the mountain, climbers are exposed to great vistas.
The long, strenuous approach to the summit is made from the east through endless switchbacks up increasingly loose gravel until we reach the crater rim at a mark known as Stella Point. Then the route is relatively flat for another hour to Uhuru Peak – the top of Mount Kilimanjaro. The quick descent follows the Mweka trail.
The Machame Route is approximately 62 km/ 37 miles from gate to gate. It is designed for physically fit people with some hiking experience, but plenty of first-time trekker use the route as well and do just fine. It is rated as one of Kilimanjaro’s better routes
Included in this package:
- Pre–tour itinerary document
- All meals included while climbing
- Overnight facilities
- All applicable Park entrance fees
- Round trip transport from Arusha
- Guaranteed departures for two or more passengers booking this climb
- Multi-lingual Professional Safari Guide/ Driver
- Overnight accommodations in Arusha
- Gratuities for your driver/guide
- Transportation to and from Arusha
- Passports, Visas, health documents and other government requirements
- Meals not listed in the itinerary
Contact us today so we can arrange the best price for you.