The Marangu route is known as the Coca Cola route and is the oldest and most established route on Kilimanjaro. It is the only path with hut accommodations. Marangu is considered to be the easiest path on the mountain, given its gradual slope and direct path. However, the short time frame of the route makes altitude acclimatization fairly difficult. The route approaches Mount Kilimanjaro from the southeast. Marangu is unfortunately less scenic than the other routes because the ascent and descent are along the same path.
The hiking trail begins by ascending a beautiful, tropical rain forest. At the upper edge of the forest line, we have the opportunity to see blue monkeys. We continue through the forest until the trail opens into high moorland. We may get our first views of Kibo and Mawenzi peaks – two of the three volcanic peaks that make up the summit of Kilimanjaro.We climb gradually, then cross the lunar desert of the “Saddle” between Mawenzi and Kibo.
The day we push to the summit is a very early morning (around midnight. This is the most mentally and physically challenging portion of the trek. The wind and cold at this elevation and time of day can be extreme. We ascend in the darkness for several hours while taking frequent, but short, breaks. At Gilman’s point (18,600 ft), you will be rewarded with the most magnificent sunrise you are ever likely to see coming over Mawenzi Peak. Finally, we arrive at Uhuru Peak- the highest point on Mount Kilimanjaro and the continent of Africa.
After spending a few moments taking in the plains of Africa and your accomplishment, we begin our descent. The long trek mostly downhill through the tropical rainforest.
Included in this package:
- Pre–tour itinerary document
- All meals included while climbing
- Overnight facilities
- All applicable Park entrance fees
- Round trip transport from Arusha
- Guaranteed departures for two or more passengers booking this climb
- Multi-lingual Professional Safari Guide/ Driver
- Overnight accommodations in Arusha
- Gratuities for your driver/guide
- Transportation to and from Arusha
- Passports, Visas, health documents and other government requirements
- Meals not listed in the itinerary
Contact us today so we can arrange the best price for you.